Thursday, February 26, 2009

Visiting Aldi, Switzerland

No, it is not some city in Switzerland, but it feels almost as foreign. I've been meaning to stop in and see what this generic-looking store was about. On my way back from the usual round of grocery stops, I gave it a try. I have to admit it was unsettling at first.

Right away, you feel like you're in a foreign country. Don't worry, all of the signs and labels are in English, but you won't recognize any of the brands. I had already explored nearly two aisles before I spotted a display of Pringles potato chips. Small comfort.

It's an upscale warehouse feel, clean and brightly lighted, with more boxes and less shelves. Prices are pretty good, but you simply don't have much to triangulate on to know what you're getting. There is just about everything you would find in a small grocery store, including produce, meats, frozen foods and dairy products.

I really hadn't planned on buying anything, but the low prices began to appeal to me. I hadn't grabbed a cart or basket, nor brought my own bag (it was already filled and in the car), so my arms were full by the time I got to the register where I encountered two more unsettling differences: Cash or Debit only (I'm a big fan of double points for groceries on my VISA Card), and no shopping bags. Like at Sam's Club, there were a few small, empty, cardboard boxes available to carry my goods out, so no worries.

I checked Aldi's web site and learned I might have been in for another unsettling surprise if I had reached for a grocery cart. They require a twenty-five cent deposit! Bring the cart back in, you get your quarter back. They also charge for grocery bags, but my cashier didn't offer to sell me one.

Their web site says that almost 95% of their "premium products are sold under exclusive ALDI select brands," meaning labels you won't recognize, or look suspiciously similar to familiar brands. I did chuckle when I saw soda called Mountain Mist in a familiar green and red can.

Still, I couldn't help sense a European influence, kind of like walking through an Ikea store or something. And then I found the discreetly-placed link to Aldi International. Indeed, they're in 17 European countries, including Switzerland. See? I told you so!

Bottom line: Yeah, give it a try. I really didn't see anything objectionable at all. But be warned that it will be a different, if not unsettling shopping experience at first. The prices are good though, so that may well make it worth the adjustment. Just remember to bring a quarter for the shopping cart, your own grocery bags, and enough cash or a debit card.

There are five Aldi stores in Pinellas County, two in Hillsborough County. I visited the one at 6700 66th Street in Pinellas Park.

No comments:

Post a Comment